Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Good Teams Shaping Young Lives

I became a Georgia Bulldog fan when I was about 8 years old. The year was 1980, and guess who was on the team at that time? And can you guess what happened that year? My best friends parents had season tickets to the Bulldogs, and I was invited to several of the games that season, and it was over from there. I was a fan for life. Not to count the fact that over the next 10 years the Dawgs seemed to dominate the SEC. The funny thing about it is, my father and my older brother were pretty big Tech fans. My dad grew up right down the street from Tech, and went to O'Keefe High School, which was bought by Georgia Tech soon after he graduated. I often think that if Tech were winning championships back then, I'd probably be wearing nothing but blue and gold and driving a blue pickup truck. Yuck! Man, am I glad that didn't happen. Who drives blue trucks anyway?
Fast forward to 2012. I'm a father to 3 beautiful kids. One, the oldest, is truely a Dawg fan. Mostly because her daddy is. Although she's old enough to remember the good run UGA had a few years back. My boys, 8 year old twins, are split. One says he's a Dawg down to the bone. The other, for some strange reason, loves the Jackets. I'm still trying to figure that out. As soon as I do, I'll fill you in as to why. Or should I say, I'll fill you in as to what went wrong! Back to my other son. He wears his red and black proudly. He's always with me when I'm watching a game on the TV, yelling at it "Go Dawgs, sic 'em". But here's where it gets interesting. He's also starting to say things like, "Roll Tide". He's let me know numerous times in recent weeks, that "Alabama is ALWAYS good, daddy". "They keep winning the championship", he says. And truth be told, there's really not a good 'come back' to that. I guess some of us, well, most of us, just like a winner. All I know is, I'm really hoping that 2012 is the year that will reel him back in for good. As far as the other son, I'll continue to work on him too!

No comments:

Post a Comment