Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Coach Scorned

I think I may have figured it out. When Mark Richt was in high school, he was one of the best QBs in the nation. He was All-Region, All-State, All-this, All-that, heck, he was going to do it all. He signed with The U.  When he got there though, he never really played much. He was stuck behind not one, but two future NFLers that went on to have wonderful pro careers. Even with this, he evidently was still good enough to get a shot in the NFL himself, coming out of college basically as a back-up. Then, he was stuck behind a pretty good QB in John Elway. I think there's a pattern forming here. As a player, he was good. Just not quite good enough. And when you're a 17-18 year old kid and you're being told that you are the best of the best, and it just doesn't pan out that way, well, that's got to be a little disappointing.
I'm pretty convinced all of this has something to do with the way he handles the QB position now, at UGA.
He(being Mark Richt) WAS Aaron Murray. Or even Joe Cox, for that matter. Don't forget that Cox, like Murray, came out of high school with all kinds of records, along with winning state titles. Both are a little short of being 6' tall, just like Mark Richt. I know, I know, they're 'on paper' as being 6-1, but we all know what that really means. Yes, I just had to throw that in there, but that's not what this is really about. It's about the fact that Mark Richt must have told himself somewhere down the line that if he were ever in position to have a player that almost identically reminded him of himself, that he would be sure to give them EVERY chance possible to make it. And this, I think, is the reason he seems to stick with a QB when its fairly obvious that a change needs to be made.
Aaron Murray was a great high school QB. He's a fairly decent college QB. He's setting some records at UGA. Good for him. I've got a feeling that if Hutson Mason were the QB for the last two years, those same records would be in his name, if not more. Murray would make the perfect back-up. Just like Richt was. Now, this article is not to knock on Aaron Murray(as there should be plently of that to come in just a few short months, I'm sure). It's just trying to get to the bottom of why Coach Richt makes the decisions he does. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I like having him as a coach. I hope he stays here a long time.
I'll also have another write-up as to why Coach Bobo does what he does(and there's a reason for that too).

So, whatchathink?

No comments:

Post a Comment